Re: M68k a.out grief

"Holland, Alexander         MHX" <HollaA@HPD.Abbott.com> wrote:

> In order to use a particular in-circuit emulator, I switched  from a GNU
> 2.95.2 m68k-coff target format to a GNU 2.95.2 m68k-aout format.

Why would you do that? Your hardware can't possibly care or even know how you
use your GNU toolchain.

> However, I
> am running into problems creating a linker script that provides even a
> minimum level of output section control. For example, my COFF script creates
> a ".vectors" section, specifies that the data part of my vectors module (a
> vector table data struct) go into this section, and locates the section at
> the base of ROM. The a.out linker seems not to allow me to specify any
> section different from the standard .text, .data, .bss.

But this is the whole point of a.out and COFF! a.out .text, .data, and .bss
(and nothing else) by definition. COFF allows you to create your own sections
and that's what it was invented for in the first place.

> Does anyone have any
> a.out linker script examples or techniques that provide more flexible output
> section control?

This is impossible by definition.

--
Michael Sokolov
Public Service Agent

1351 VINE AVE APT 27		Phone: +1-714-738-5409
FULLERTON CA 92833-4291 USA	(home office)

E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP)