ld & tables spread accross multiple objects

Is it possible to specify that all data contained in a specific section
(".conftab" in my case) *must* be written to the executable?

[snippet from my link script]
.data    :
   {
     _conftab_start = .;
     *(.conftab)
     _conftab_end = .;
     *(.data)
     *(.data.*)
     *(.gnu.linkonce.d*)
     SORT( CONSTRUCTORS)
   } > ram

I want all the "configuration table" data from the various modules of
the program concatenated into one large contiguous table. This works
just fine, but if there aren't any symbols used from a particular
module, the table data gets discarded.
If -lmymodule is specified, and it contains any .conftab data I want it
to be included in the executable regardless of whether any symbols are
used from -lmymodule.
Is this possible?

Thanks for your help,
Shaun