Re: PowerPC Toolchain.

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 03:30:04PM -0000, Rolf.Barwick@aculab.com wrote:
> 	I wish to build a GNU Toolchain for a new PowerPC embedded system,
> using S-records.   I am sure it can be done, though I run into tool building
> problems with the options I have used up to now.
> My questions:
> 	What --target= option should I be using for the configure script?
> 	Are there any special makefile targets which need to be specified
> for a cross compiler for generating low-level code?   (That is I haven't yet
> written the OS libraries).

Look in the embedded-gcc FAQ on how to do a one-tree build of gcc, binutils
and newlib - using target powerpc-eabi, this works fine out of the box and
is the easiest way, even if you do not actually need newlib.

I am not sure if the linker can directly create s-records (but I think so) -
I usually let the linker generate an ELF file (with debug info), and then
use objcopy to convert that to S-records.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen