Re: ppc-gcc get started

Zhaobin Zhu <zzhu@emc.com> wrote:

> I am new to gcc. I need to install gcc-ppc compiler on Sun solaris.
> I've read CrossGCC FAQ but still don't know among the pieces needed
>
> GCC 2.95.2, file gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz
> GAS 2.9.1/GLD 2.9.1/binutils 2.9.1, file binutils-2.9.tar.gz
> GDB 4.17, file gdb-4.17.tar.gz
> GLIBC 2.0.6, file glibc-2.0.6.tar.gz
> Newlib 1.8.2
>
> which one is powerpc specific, i.e., for output of ppc obj ?

None of them is PPC-specific. All GNU toolchain components support all the
targets in the same package. You select your target when you run the configure
script.

You definitely want GCC and Binutils. Are you going to cross-compile for an
embedded PPC system or for some sort of UNIX or GNU/Linux for PPC? If it's an
embedded system, you want Newlib. You can also use GDB to debug the embedded
target. If it's GNU/Linux, you want GLIBC. (No idea where would debugging fit
in this case.) You also want the latest releases of the packages. Binutils
2.9.1 and GDB 4.17 are outdated, use Binutils 2.10 and GDB 5.0 instead.

> Anybody can elaborate on this and provide a step-by-step
> instruction on installaing gcc-ppc cross-compiler on
> Solaris ?

When you figure out what you want, figure out what is the configure target name
for it and follow the CrossGCC FAQ.

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)