GNU make.exe troubles

Hi,

I'm using this version of make:
GNU Make version 3.75-B19, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.

Using make.exe under Win32 (with the --win32 switch), I have been unable
to successfully create files from the makefile using the 'echo' shell
command and redirection.

For instance, if I try:
<TAB>echo hello >t.txt

in the makefile as a shell line for a target, I get the following at
run-time:
echo hello >t.txt
Bad command or file name

I can make echo work (without trying to create a file) like this:
<TAB>c:\command.com /c echo hello

But:
<TAB>c:\command.com /c echo hello >t.txt
doesn't work, giving:
c:\command.com /c echo hello >t.txt
Bad command or file name

This *SEEMS* like it should be a silly question, but I can't figure it
out.

Scott A. Sumner