exception handling problem: gcc on Cygwin for i960

Hello,

With help of the information on the mailing list and in the faqs I have
finally managed to build cross compiler on Cygwin for i960-coff (for
VxWorks).
Now I have a problem with C++ exceptions. I am a newbie in VxWorks (and
in embedded systems).
C programs seem to work fine. C++ programs work unless they use throw
statements to throw
exceptions.
Throw causes the system to hang.

Since in VxWorks a function is run directly (not by means of main() or
crt0), the problem might be
that the exception handling is not initialized.
How do I initialize exception handlinhg?
Or more generically, how do I make exception handling to work in this
situation?
Any help is appresiated

The configuration:
gcc-2.95 on Cygwin for i960-unknown-coff
binutils-2.9.1
newlib-1.8.1
VxWorks 5.1

The program:

#include <stdio.h>

void hello1() {
    try {
        printf("Hello, World\n");
        throw 1;  // this causes the system to hang
                  // without throw it works as expected
    }
    catch(...) {
        printf("exception\n");