relocation truncated to fit

This is probably a stupid newbie question, but I can't seem to dig up an
answer on any search engines, so I figured somebody here could help.

My target system is an embedded 68332, and the current development
environment is the DOS-based Sierra Systems compiler.  I'm trying to
move development to the GNU toolchain and drop the Sierra stuff
altogether.

Everything is compiling, (including the assembly, after performing
conversion of Sierra's macro format to C-preprocessor-style format.)
The only thing stopping me from generating a ROM image is the final
linking. :)

I'm using binutils-2.9.4.0.7 under linux, and trying to link up a whole
mess (151, to be exact,) of COFF object files, and getting hundreds of:

zdsp.o(.text+0x28c):zdsp.S: relocation truncated to fit: DISP16 _vputs

I can force output with --noinhibit-exec, but I'd like to know what's
going on here.

----
  Aaron J. Grier  |  Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR  |  aaron@frye.com
  "People who are more than casually interested in computers should have
   at least some idea of what the underlying hardware is like. Otherwise
   the programs they write will be pretty weird."   --   Donald Knuth