Do I really need BFD?

I have been looking at the BFD docs (thanks for the pointers)
and I think that I don't need BFD support.  I am only interested
in making a 1750A compiler.  I don't need a linker or assebler,
just something that will take C and generate 1750A assembly
code.  We already have an assembler and we don't need a
linker (at least not yet).

Does this mean I don't need BFD?  Is there a way to tell the
configure script that I don't need an assembler or linker to keep
lack of BFD (and other potential pitfalls) from tripping me up?

Jeff