RE: 16 bit RAM on 68K system.

Thanks for your response Galen,

The problem with the 68EZ328 that I am using is that is has upper and lower
write enable signals (UWE* LWE*) and not upper and lower chip enable
signals. It has a single output enable (OE*) for read operations as it
always expects 16 bits to be supplied. The core then looks at either the
upper or lower 8 bits if only an 8 bit read was required. The 16 bit SRAMs
I have seen require upper and lower byte (UB & LB) enables (ie both read
and write). So for read operations the OE* signal from processor needs to
connect to both UB and LB of SRAM and for write operations the UWE* and
LWE* signals need to connect to the UB and LB of SRAM. This requires some
glue logic. If your are really interested there is an app note on motorola
web site for 68EZ328 (see
http://www.mot.com/SPS/WIRELESS/pdf/APPNOTES/sram_16bit.pdf)

TIA
David Williams