Changes in the way the crossgcc mailing list is handled

Hi folks, I've moved the crossgcc list from @cygnus.com to
@sourceware.cygnus.com, and there are a bunch of changes due to this move.

First off, everyone that was subscribed to crossgcc@cygnus.com is now
subscribed to crossgcc@sourceware.cygnus.com.  No action is required of
you to remain on the mailing list.

There are a bunch of benefits to this move.  sourceware.cygnus.com is
vastly faster at distributing mail--mail will be completely delievered
in under 30 minutes the majority of the time (as opposed to the many
hours it could take before).

There are many spam blocking measures on sourceware so that spam will
become a non-issue without restricting posting access to only those
subscribed to the list.

There are nice web archives of the mailing list, as well as mbox-formatted
archives available by ftp.  The web archives are searchable.

If your e-mail address that you're subscribed under is "UNAME@HOSTNAME".

As you can see, your e-mail address is encoded in this header.  Send a
mail note to that address (strip out the "mailto:" part if you're doing
this by hand), and you will get a confirmation note to make sure you
are really you.  Reply to that confirmation note, and you will be off
the mailing list.  Very easy, very reliable, no need to struggle to
remember what address you're subscribed under.

There is also a List-Help: header pointing to how to get help, a
and a List-Post: header which gives you the address to use to post a
message to the list.  These headers are from the newish RFC2369 standard,
you'll see them showing up on more mailing lists in the future.

address.  It will be set to

  Sender:  crossgcc-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com

for all mail notes on this mailing list.

You can see it at

	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/crossgcc/

It has all the crossgcc mail since 1997, and has a search engine
for extra easy groping.

-------------
GET A DIGEST OF THIS LIST
-------------

Want to get a digest version of crossgcc?  You'll get one mail note every
day or so.  It's pretty straightforward to change, see the instructions at

	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/#how-do-i-resubscribe-to-digest

-------------
FORWARDING OF THIS LIST
-------------

The crossgcc@cygnus.com address will forward mail to
crossgcc@sourceware.cygnus.com for a while longer.  In a while (say a
month), I will disable this forwarding and set up an auto-responder at
the crossgcc@cygnus.com address.

Why not continue forwarding indefinitely?  I can't enable the spam
blocking measures until I stop forwarding the @cygnus.com mail to
@sourceware.

In addition--I'm really sorry about this--I can't even restrict the
posting access to subscribed people only while this transition is
in place.  So for the next couple of weeks, the amount of spam will
probably _increase_ on the list.  Then I'll disable the forwarding
and the spam will all but disappear.  So please hang tight for the
next few weeks.

to know.

To subscribe to crossgcc, send a mail note to
crossgcc-subscribe@sourceware.cygnus.com.  Or there is a handy little
web form for subscribing and unsubscribing at

	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/crossgcc/

FIN

Please feel free to contact me if any of this is unclear.

Jason
Free the Software!