problems building AIX 4.3.1 cross-compiler on Linux

Hi!  I'm trying to build an AIX 4.3.1 on PowerPC cross compiler hosted on a
486 running RedHat Linux 5.1.  I know that sounds strange, but the 486 is
the only free machine I have to play with.  I was able to build the
binutils (2.9.1) just fine and now I'm getting this error during stage 2 (I
think) of the compiler build:

mv tmp-specs specs
touch stmp-headers
mv libgcc1.a libgcc1.cross || (echo You must find a way to make libgcc1.a;
false)
mv: libgcc1.a: No such file or directory
You must find a way to make libgcc1.a
make[1]: *** [libgcc1.cross] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/disk2/build/gcc-2.95/objdir/gcc'
make: *** [cross] Error 2
[tomw@11 objdir]$

I'm using gcc-2.95 and I have made the AIX header and library files
available to gcc.  I'm also using the gcc-2.95 Linux native compiler to
build the gcc-2.95 AIX cross compiler.
If I can get this working, I'm probably going to try to target
sparc-sun-solaris2.7 as well.

Any ideas?  If gcc can't make libgcc1.a by itself, how can I make it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peace.......

Tom Williams
tom.williams@diversifiedsoftware.com