Re: GNU toolchain working in other directories ?

Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> writes:
>   In message <199907090026.UAA08595@light.lexra.com>you write:
>   >
>   > >   > Is it possible to make it work in any
>   > >   > directory with just changing some environment variables ?
>   > >   > Thanks
>   > > GCC_EXEC_PREFIX
>   >
>   > For those who use this technique.  How do you avoid conflict
>   > with any number of GNU compilers that you might also use
>   > in the same environment?  i.e. The native GNU C compiler will
>   > also use this environment variable.
> Nothing good that I'm aware of.
>
> One could make an alias for the various compilers which first sets a
> suitable GCC_EXEC_PREFIX, calls the desired compiler, then unsets
> GCC_EXEC_PREFIX or something like that.
>
> Another approach is to use the -B argument to the compiler, which (effectivel
> y)
> allows you to specify a prefix on the command line.
> jeff

Or, you can use what I call "relative pathname fix" authored primarily
by Michael Meissner and Ian Taylor that allows you to freely move around
the tree and have it "just work". I know Jeff knows about all this,
and he knows the caveats, but I don't hear complaints from all the users
who use my win32 binary distribs of egcs.

The patch is slightly different for egcs-1.1.x and gcc-2.95, and both
versions are available in my patchsets.

For egcs-1.1.2:
  ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin/egcs-1.1.2/patches/

for not-yet-released gcc-2.95:
  ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin/snapshots/

After downloading the patchset, look for a file named *relative-path*
and that's the file you want.

It's unsupported, so please don't ask me how or if it works.

Regards,
Mumit