Re: Unrecognised Object Format

David Williams wrote:

> Scott, you added my email address to the crossgcc mail list. I now get two
> copies of each e-mail posted to the mail list. The confusion originally
> arose as my email address was 'dlcsoft@axis.jeack.com.au' but recently I
> discovered that the 'axis' part could be dropped and so my shortned email
> address is now 'dlcsoft@jeack.com.au'. I believe either email address will
> work. When I subscribed to the mail list I would have used the longer
> address. Recently I changed my email configuration to use the shortned
> address when sending email. This would have caused my problems. How can I
> fix my subscription to the mailing list?

No problem, I will remove the longer address from the list.

> I would like to fully understand the startup (and shutdown) process so that
> I can develop my own low power control code in my embedded system. I have
> the option of using the crt0 module for 68K in the library or I can develop
> my own. The crt0 module in the library has various hooks and call other
> function before calling 'main'. I was trying to follow the source code but
> I seem to missing some...
> As I understand it 'libc.a' is the standard C library file for newlib and
> 'libm.a' is the math library for newlib. I have the source code for newlib
> available with the distribution for object software. 'libbcc.a' is the
> library file for the BCC support package. I have the source code for that
> as well. 'libgcc.a' is the compiler support library. Do I have the source
> for that? If so, were? If not, where can I get it from.

The source for libgcc is in the source distribution for gcc/egcs. Look
for egcs-1.1.1.tar.gz on sourceware.cygnus.com or a mirror site.

Our next release of the 68k compiler will include a much-enhanced crt0.o
which will make it much easier to use the tools to develop ROM-based
embedded systems. You might want to wait (only a little longer - I
promise!) for this release, as it may obviate the need for you to
develop your own. Also it will include egcs version 1.1.2 which fixes a
few more bugs in the 68k compiler.

Scott