cross gdb with sim as separate process

I have been putting together a cross-gdb for one of my customers that
is based on one of my company's simulators. It seems to be working OK
when I structure this as a simulator linked directly into GDB. Longer
term, the customer does not want this. They want the simulator to be
a separate process to which gdb connects at run time. This seems
reasonable, but has this been done for simulator targets? I would
appreciate pointers on how to get started on making this
modification. How do the two processes communicate under, say, the
cygwin32 environment, which is one of the hosts we need to support?

TIA,
Ken

Kenneth F. Greenberg, President
California Advanced Software Tools, Inc.
Los Gatos, CA, USA
http://www.calast.com/ken