configure doesn't work with mounted /tmp

so, I added a new disk to my system (RH 5.1) and decided to mount
a 100MB filesystem as /tmp.  I didn't have any problems until I tried
to build a gcc crosscompiler.  binutils-2.8/configure
complained that it couldn't find files in /tmp. unmounted the /tmp
filesystem and it worked just fine.  has anyone else noticed this?

To get help for the crossgcc list, send mail to
crossgcc-request@cygnus.com with the text 'help'
(without the quotes) in the body of the message.