Re: GNU, MRI and VRTX

Borlizzi Giacomo wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anybody know a method to have GNU compiler for 68xxx processor
> compatible with VRTX Operating system? or that is the same, how GNU compiler
> can be configured to have compatibility with MRI compiler?
> Thanx,
>  /Giacomo Borlizzi
> (without the quotes) in the body of the message.

pass GAS option from GCC by using -Wa,-M

below is more information from info GAS
-----
Assemble in MRI Compatibility Mode: -M

The -M or --mri option selects MRI compatibility mode. This changes the
syntax and pseudo-op handling of as to make it
compatible with the ASM68K or the ASM960 (depending upon the configured
target) assembler from Microtec Research. The
exact nature of the MRI syntax will not be documented here; see the MRI
manuals for more information. Note in particular
that the handling of macros and macro arguments is somewhat different.
The purpose of this option is to permit assembling
existing MRI assembler code using as.

The MRI compatibility is not complete. Certain operations of the MRI
assembler depend upon its object file format, and can
not be supported using other object file formats. Supporting these would
require enhancing each object file format individually.
These are:

     global symbols in common section The m68k MRI assembler supports
common sections which are merged by the
     linker. Other object file formats do not support this. as handles
common sections by treating them as a single common
     symbol. It permits local symbols to be defined within a common
section, but it can not support global symbols, since it
     has no way to describe them.
     complex relocations The MRI assemblers support relocations against
a negated section address, and relocations which
     combine the start addresses of two or more sections. These are not
support by other object file formats.
     END pseudo-op specifying start address The MRI END pseudo-op
permits the specification of a start address. This is
     not supported by other object file formats. The start address may
instead be specified using the -e option to the linker,
     or in a linker script.
     IDNT, .ident and NAME pseudo-ops The MRI IDNT, .ident and NAME
pseudo-ops assign a module name to the
     output file. This is not supported by other object file formats.
     ORG pseudo-op The m68k MRI ORG pseudo-op begins an absolute section
at a given address. This differs from the
     usual as .org pseudo-op, which changes the location within the
current section. Absolute sections are not supported
     by other object file formats. The address of a section may be
assigned within a linker script.

There are some other features of the MRI assembler which are not
supported by as, typically either because they are difficult
or because they seem of little consequence. Some of these may be
supported in future releases.

     EBCDIC strings EBCDIC strings are not supported.
     packed binary coded decimal Packed binary coded decimal is not
supported. This means that the DC.P and DCB.P
     pseudo-ops are not supported.
     FEQU pseudo-op The m68k FEQU pseudo-op is not supported.
     NOOBJ pseudo-op The m68k NOOBJ pseudo-op is not supported.
     OPT branch control options The m68k OPT branch control options---B,
BRS, BRB, BRL, and BRW---are ignored. as
     automatically relaxes all branches, whether forward or backward, to
an appropriate size, so these options serve no
     purpose.
     OPT list control options The following m68k OPT list control
options are ignored: C, CEX, CL, CRE, E, G, I, M, MEX, MC,
     MD, X.
     other OPT options The following m68k OPT options are ignored: NEST,
O, OLD, OP, P, PCO, PCR, PCS, R.
     OPT D option is default The m68k OPT D option is the default,
unlike the MRI assembler. OPT NOD may be used to turn
     it off.
     XREF pseudo-op. The m68k XREF pseudo-op is ignored.
     .debug pseudo-op The i960 .debug pseudo-op is not supported.
     .extended pseudo-op The i960 .extended pseudo-op is not supported.
     .list pseudo-op. The various options of the i960 .list pseudo-op
are not supported.
     .optimize pseudo-op The i960 .optimize pseudo-op is not supported.
     .output pseudo-op The i960 .output pseudo-op is not supported.
     .setreal pseudo-op The i960 .setreal pseudo-op is not supported.

--
Dony
Email : dony@willowglen.com.sg