Re: crossgcc: arbitrary sections?

    Josef> Hello!  I have built m68k-coff for an embedded environment
    Josef> and it runs great.  But now I need arbitrary named sections
    Josef> to store data which can be changed at run-time but needs to
    Josef> survive across power-downs. Nut gcc says, I can't specify
    Josef> arbitrary named sections with coff.  Would this be possible
    Josef> with aout or elf? Or do I need to specify some wired option
    Josef> while compiling?

    Stephen> You can most certainly do what you want with coff. My
    Stephen> favorite method is to use linker scripts.

So what is the method?  Do gnu ld linker scripts allow you to identify
a chunk of object code by the module name (name of .o file) together
with the names of the sections that are present in that file, so that
you could take the data section of foo.o and put it one place, but put
the data section of bar.o in another place, yet let the text sections
of both coallesce into a single code space?

I have used some pretty hairy linker scripts in embedded work before,
but using other proprietary linkers, not gnu ld.  I have not read the
info docs on ld yet, so I am just wondering.  Plese do not lob an RTFM
grenade my way for asking this question.  :-)

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
Robert Jay Brown III rj@eli.elilabs.com  http://www.elilabs.com 1 847 705-0424