Re: crossgcc: arbitrary sections?

> Hello!
>
> I have built m68k-coff for an embedded environment and it runs great.
> But now I need arbitrary named sections to store data which can be
> changed at run-time but needs to survive across power-downs. Nut
> gcc says, I can't specify arbitrary named sections with coff.
> Would this be possible with aout or elf? Or do I need to specify
> some wired option while compiling?

It is possible to have arbitrary named sections with ELF.
But I haven't tested it extensively with gcc/gas, only a
few test cases for powerpc-eabi.

I built my own m68k-elf support out of bits'n'pieces in
the binutils 2.7 release. There seem to be similar patches
for binutils 2.8 floating around. Maybe you could search
the crossgcc archives.
--
	Ola Liljedahl
	olli@enea.se