Re: gcc ieee format

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Bob Harmon wrote:

> I think you have to do
> objdump --debugging
>  to put the stuff in.
>
> Plus you need to start with the COFF compiler, then objdump to ieee.
>
> This does not work perfectly with AMC BDMs because AMC
> supports MicroTEK ieee 695 flavor, not the gnu / OASYS flavor.

Interesting, when using COFF I could NOT get gcc 2.7.2.3/binutils 2.8.1
to work with my AMC BDM at all. AMC failed to read the resulting
IEE file (from objcopy).

I currently build ELF/STABS (with lots of sections), then link to a 3
section ELF/STABS file, use objcopy to convert the program to AOUT, and
then use a special program I wrote to convert the STABS info from "STABS
in sections" to a.out/STABS (objcopy does not appear to be able to convert
the dbg info, just the symbols from ELF/STABS to AOUT/STABS). The "STABS
in sections" format is slightly different (for example, relative addresses
instead of abs for some dbg info.).

> Apparently ieee 695 is a much of a stardard as RS-232.

It does appear to be a bit iffy....

Cheers
Mark