Re: FW: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

Joel wrote:
> [...] From a personal standpoint, I want RTEMS to be free software but I also
> want people to use it.  So the liense can't scare users off.  Even the
> non-restrictive "libgcc" style license has cost us untold hours of
> discussions with potential users convincing them that it has no strings.

   A more positive note on the Ada side, it looks like the GNAT RT
   license (Ada equivalent of the libgcc one) doesn't scare Ada
   customers any more (most of them had to pay $$$ to have the right
   to adapt their Ada 83 proprietary RT, it is $0 with GNAT, they see
   the $$$ interest, and some of them even submit port or changes).

   We still have to spend some time explaining the "software for $0,
   support $xxx" model vs the "software for $xxx, support $yyy" one,
   but since most Ada customers are doing serious stuff, they know the
   important thing is support anyway, so it's no too hard.

--
Laurent Guerby <guerby@gnat.com>, Team Ada, Linux/GNU addict
   "Use the Source, Luke. The Source will be with you, always (GPL)."