Re: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

Craig,

The purpose of patent law is not the single issue of public disclosure. It
has several purposes, all of which are intended for the pubic good. My point
is that one of those purposes is to stimulate the invention process by
providing the inventor the exclusive ownership of the invention for a period
of time. This is not a trivial function of patents. Whether it is as
significant a function as public disclosure of the invention "secrets" is a
matter for theological debate.

But today, the stimulus factor is VERY non-trivial. Most every feature of
modern computers were invented with the expectation that patents would
protect the profits of the patent owner. There are companies that do nothing
except invent and sell inventions. They produce nothing but ideas and
patents! Obviously these companies would not exist without patent law.

As for the compensation of computer engineers, if you think that we are paid
like gods, then I will keep looking for another religion. I don't know any
computer related workers that are anything other than middle class
economically. Other than in Silicon Valley maybe, you can't even break into
six digit saleries! I know plumbers that make as much money. But maybe I
should be sending your company a resume rather than debating this point? ;)

Rick Collins