FW: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

Now, I would argue the opposite (naturally ;-).  The way I see it, there
are three options:

1) Make everything freely available, the natural consequence being,
IMHO,  that we all go out of business.

2) Patent everything, thus protecting intellectual property rights while
publicly dicslosing the implementation details of everything.  The
cosequences here are much more widespread than (1), since eventually it
will become difficult to build *anything* without tripping over someone
else's patents.  That software *can* be patented seems like a real
stretch to me.

3) Keep trade secrets secret.  This approach seems to have the fewest
consequences.  The company that invested in a product's development gets
to make a living selling it, while everyone else is free to reimplement
it at will. The entire GNU project is a fine example of this approach.
If (2) prevailed, FSF would spend each of every day in court defending
its patent infingement for simple things, such as a program to translate
high-level computer language programs into machine object code.

My own fear is that we will all live to see the day when (2) makes it
impossible to be viable as a small company.

-brian