Re: Re: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

    ralph> Richard Stallman,rms@santafe.edu,Internet writes:
    >> In general, if something makes it hard for people to keep the
    >> specs of hardware secret, I would consider that a step forward.
    >> The concealment of hardware designs for PC hardware has been a
    >> great

    ralph> we're not talking about PC hardware!  we're talking about
    ralph> standalone products: VCR's, microwave ovens, fax machines,
    ralph> copiers, musical instruments, etc...

Which of course makes it even less useful for someone to "steal" your
code.  Generally, hardware (other than PALs, ROMs, FPGAs, and full
custom ASICs) can be reverse engineered by just looking inside the
device one purchased.  Software is not "visible" in that same way.

If your hardware is truley unique and you want to protect it, then
patent it.  If it is not unique, then where's the beef?  The only
downside I can see is if you stole your hardware technology and need
to keep its inards secret to keep from getting busted!

But if you stole it, then you had to steal the software too.  But if
software was unprotectable IP, then you were welcome to steal it; you
just wouldn't legaly have hardware to run it on unless you licensed
use of the inventor's patent.

I repeat, of all the places where software is used, embedded systems
seem to be the place that least needs IP protection.  If your product
*IS* for a PC, and is a pure software product, then give away the
software and sell the support.  That way, even people who get your
software second hand will still need your support.

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
Robert Jay Brown III rj@eli.elilabs.com  http://www.elilabs.com 1 847 705-0424