Re: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

    Jim> By the way, the LGPL is not convenient for embedded
    Jim> applications.  The example I like to use is washing machines,
    Jim> because there exist washing machines whose control code was
    Jim> compiled by gcc.  If any LGPL code was used in them, then the
    Jim> manufacturer would have to distribute a floppy disk
    Jim> containing an unlinked version of the control program.  This
    Jim> would be very confusing to the end customer, to get a floppy
    Jim> disk along with their brand new washing machine.  It is best
    Jim> to avoid this problem by never using any LGPL libraries in
    Jim> embedded applications.

Here we go again...  You don't have to force the unlinked code on
them, just make it available if they ask for it, and you have to tell
them that they can ask for it.  This can all be part of the fine print
in the Warrantee that nobody ever reads until the fool thing breaks
anyway.  Repeat, the warrantee can give the URL of a site they can
download the unlinked code from.  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE THEM THE
CODE UNLESS THEY ASK FOR IT.  ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TELL THEM THEY CAN
ASK FOR IT, AND HOW THEY SHOULD ASK FOR IT -- BY FETCHING THE
FOLLOWING TAR FILE:

   http://ftp.code.graveyard.com/washingmachine/code.tar.gz

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------