Re: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

    Joel> On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Stephen Williams wrote:

    Stephen> I still have to ask, "If the GPL or LGPL can be satisfied by
    Stephen> an application (embedded or otherwise) without any special
    Stephen> considerations by the developers, then why do libgcc and the
    Stephen> gnat run-time have special exceptions?"

Well, I was originally only concerned with the library license, since
the GPL requires divulcgence of all source code of any application
including any GPL code, and that the GPL license apply to the new
program as well.  The library agreement only requires the divulgence
of non-Gnu object libraries in a re-linkable form so the a new version
of the Gnu library can be compiled and linked against the original
application.  This si supposedly so that the user of the new
application does not have to rely on its developer to provide updates
that only change code in the Gnu library.

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
Robert Jay Brown III rj@eli.elilabs.com  http://www.elilabs.com 1 847 705-0424