binutils/objcopy & ieee: illegal variable index

   We're building our software here with MRI cross development tools; output
   format is IEEE 695.

   For debugging purposes I finally want to install GNU gdb with BDM support
   for MC68332 on Linux/i386.
   [..]
   Is there anybody working with IEEE format and had similar problems? I can't
   expend too much time for this project, so any help is appreciated.

Forgive me for being obtuse, but why not use the GNU tools for compilation
as well?