Re: Cross compile to DOS.

Robert de Bath wrote:

> Oh, well, I assume the silence means nobody knows; I really, _really_, want
> to get rid of that dos box, the only thing I use it for is cross-compiling.
> But it looks like I'm stuck with it; tho at least it can now be a virtual
> dos box since BCC 3.1 now works inside Linux-DOSEMU.
>
> --
> Rob.                           (Robert de Bath <http://www.cix.co.uk/~mayday>)
>
> On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Robert de Bath wrote:
>
> > This seems to be the place to get a definitive answer to this; actually
> > I'm suprised it isn't in the FAQ ...
> >
> > Is there an patch, addition or configuration option to GCC that will
> > allow it to generate 16bit 8086 small (and preferably also large) model
> > code ?
> >
> > I realise an 8086 will not have enough memory to actually _run_ GCC,
> > though in theroy a 80286 can, but this is no different to the machine
> > descriptions for 8-bit processors (6809/6811).
> >
> > BTW; If anybody has a spare 5 minutes and want's to write the md's I'd
> >      suggest that NASM is the best assembler version to use ... :-)

I don't know of any support in gcc for real mode 80x86 code generation.
I would have said it was not possible, as gcc is pretty much 32 bits and
up only, but now that you mention it, there are MDs for Hitachi H8 etc.

If you don't want to run BCC under dosemu, you could look at the free C
compiler that the Linux ELK project uses for the 8086. I'm not sure if
it is full ISO though.

> > --
> > Rob.                           (Robert de Bath <http://www.cix.co.uk/~mayday>)

Regards