Cross Compiler for m68k

Dear All,

I want to build GCC as a cross compiler so I can develop code for the 68030
processor. This processor will be running on a custom-built board.

I found the Cross-Compiling-mini-howto,

ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/LOCAL/680x0/docs/cross-compiling-Mini-HOWTO

which is a great help.

Unfortunately, I run up against a problem right at the beginning.

After installing the source for gcc and binutils and untar them below
/usr/src I start to build binutils. I type the following as specified in the
HOWTO,

%  ./configure --host=i[345]86-linux --prefix=/usr \
    --enable-target=i[345]86-linux,m68k-linux --enable-shared

And this gives output indicating a Makefile has been made.

I then type,

% make CFLAGS=-O3

as specified and this is where the problem occurs.

The Makefile seems to run configure again which recreates the Makefile, which
then runs configure again which recreates the Makefile etc. etc. in other words
the output looks suspiciously repetitive.

Am I doing something wrong? is there a patch necessary?

I'm using binutils 2.7.0 and gcc 2.7.0.

Many thanks in advance.

John BC Walker
Development Enigineer