Re: GNU compiler for 68360 and 820 cpus

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Robert J. Brown wrote:

> What simulators are the best choices for 68K projects.  I recall using
> one from NC State in Raliegh a few years back, but I haven't kept up
> lately.  The project I just came off of had its own custom designed
> CPU and ran Forth very close to the hardware.  I wroote the simulator
> for that CPU so I could develop the Forth system for it before the
> real hardware was ready for full up logic simulation.  Later, we ran
> behaviorial Verilog simulation of the CPU and IO devices to get exact
> results for DMA interference, etc.  I have not used a commercial
> processor for 15 months until starting this ew project, which is C++
> and 68360.

AFAIK the m68k simulator you mention is the only free m68k simulator still
being developed/supported by anyone.  Last time I looked for one, the
only option I found was the one from SDS.

The situation is similar for an i386.  The only one I found was from SSI.

As I recall, both product lines were Windows-based.  I seem to recall that
the m68k was available under some unix's but there were some gotcha's under
unix.

Offhand, I don't even remember what the companies anacronyms stand for.

FYI the first target configurations RTEMS is tested for are those which
have simulators.  Right now, this is the sparc, powerpc, and the unix
port.  I would love find a free simulator for one of the other cpus we
support which is suitable.  To be suitable, it must support some type
of console IO and a clock tick.  Ideally, it will support benchmark time
base (even it is as simple as a register which increments for each
instruction executed).

--joel