Re: Some CGEN problems

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com> wrote:
> "Kai Henningsen" <kai.extern@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>  > Maybe the largest problem (after the rather sparse documentation) is
>  > that the pmacro system seems to be much weaker than GCC's iterator
>  > system.  [...] Right now, the best way I can think of is to generate
>  > CGEN input with a Perl script ... [...]
>
>  I agree, that is probably best.
>

>  > This (and the growing list of stuff that I find that CGEN doesn't
>  > even try to handle) makes me wonder if it might be easier to not use
>  > CGEN. [...]
>
>  Only you can judge that.  There is little cgen-oriented development
>  going on now, so any new features you need will need more
>  encouragement & assistance to make happen than a Marvinoid moan.

So don't moan then.

Or in other words, rereading my mail I can't see anything even
remotely resembling a moan. What it mainly is is wondering what I
might have missed - it's hard to believe these particular problems
weren't apparent pretty much from the start, and thus it's hard to
believe nobody tried to solve them a long time ago.

And I'd like to hear how other people solved these kinds of problems -
or if they did.