Porting Opcodes using CGEN

Hi all,

I get alot of messages from people new to CGEN about
porting opcodes using CGEN. In the beginning, like the
rest, I tried to figure it out using the avaialble
documentation, but it did not help much either.

At the start, there is nothing easier than a
step-by-step guide for doing things. So I thought I
should post the procedure I used for generating the
desired output files. I hope this will help the new
comers in speeding up the process of getting opcodes
files up and running.

This is how it goes:

1. Make a temporary directory and cd to it (call it
"build" for the moment)
2. Configure "build" with the top level configure
script of binutils with --target=TARGET. (Use
binutils-2.13 or higher if you want to save yourself
from some later writing).
3. The generated Makefile in <build>/opcodes should
not contain  "CGENDEPS = ../cgen/stamp-cgen \" on its
first line (does not happen in the case of
binutils-2.13). If it does, remove it and let it be:
"CGENDEPS= \" on the first line. The rest of it
remains the same.
4. Check for the value of CGENDIR variable. It has to
be the correct path to your CGEN source directory. If
not, either change the path manually, or copy CGEN
source directory (containing .scm files) to the
binutils source tree i.e. binutils/cgen. Only then
would it work out.
5. run "make stamp-TARGET" from your <build>/opcodes
directory.
6. If every thing goes well, the new generated files
are put back in the binutils/opcodes directory.

Happy making...
Regards

Shehryar