Re: Register names and dollar signs

Doug Evans <dje@transmeta.com> writes:

> I'd rather not go down this road.

OK.  Everything you say is reasonable.  Quotes and .iota solve the
problems perfectly well already.

> I never did like mips's register naming...

Which aspect?  The mnemonics?  The dollar signs?  I have grown to like
the mnemonics (except perhaps that MIPS screwed them up!  Four
register args isn't enough, k0..k1 are largely wasted, and there
aren't enough call-preserved regs, IMO.  SGI n32 and n64 improve
things greatly).  I prefer to see mnemonics in disassembly and to have
them to universally available without including a header.  Actually,
I'm having second thoughts about providing raw register numbers as
aliases, and am now thinking of only allowing the mnemonics.  I have
run across too many assembler programmers who are oblivious to C
calling conventions.  The mnemonics force at least some awareness of
register classes and proper usage.

Greg