current state of ia32, and using cgen for a binary optimiser

My 3rd year project at Manchester university is to develop a pentium
code reorganiser - for optimising branch prediction and icache usage.

As part of this, I need a way to read in ia32 instructions, modify the
sense of branches, and extract and change immediate and indirect branch
targets.

Cgen looks like it would be able to build a tool to do this, but I would
like to ask:

will this require a lot of new work on/with gcen, or is this similar
enough to what you already do that I can hack it?

is the ia32 description complete and correct?

thanks,

Alex B Brown
abb@cs.man.ac.uk