Question about elf data segment address adjustment

In ld/scripttempl/elf.sc about line 562 there's a comment that pre-dates the 1999 sourceware import, so I can't track it down.

The adjustment described by the comment sometimes leads to an attempted out of range load of a system global variable.

The comment is:

/* Adjust the address for the data segment.  We want to adjust up to
     the same address within the page on the next page up.  */

What is the reason for this adjustment to the data segment starting address? Why not, for example, adjust up to the next multiple of 0x10000?

--Douglas Rupp
AdaCore