Re: how to separate libopcode library from binutils

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 9:18 AM, 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> --
> My best regards to you.
>
>      No System Is Safe!
>      Dongliang Mu

Stay as safe as possible, friend.

>> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 8:11 PM, 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I wonder if it is possible to separate the library libopcode from
>>> binutils and maintain it in another repo. Or the libopcode source code
>>> is maintained in one repo that I don't know.
>>>
>>> It is not essential to compile the whole binutils package when you
>>> need libopcode. So is there easy solution for this problem?
>>>

>> If you look in binutils/opcodes you will find a configure script.
>> Running this script will produce a Makefile, and you can use that
>> Makefile to build only libopcodes. You can copy binutils/opcodes out
>> of the binutils project directory or you can create an out-of-tree
>> directory to build libopcodes in (create the directory, then run
>> libopcode's configure script when inside of that directory).
>>
> I have seen that folder, and tried to build opcodes. But it depends on
> libbfd, which locates in ../bfd. Only separate opcodes directory is
> not enough.

Follow that general process to build the dependencies of libopcodes as
well. I think I should point out a lot of distributions install
libopcodes only with binutils; they don't offer it separately. It
doesn't exactly make sense to do so even though there are other
projects which use it.

>> I suspect libopcodes exists within the binutils project because
>> development is very closely linked. Indeed, a bunch of related
>> programs are in binutils because they are all developed at more or
>> less the same time.
>>
>> R0b0t1.

R0b0t1.