Re: ld.so binding time

Greetings,

No, ld.so is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It resolves the
symbol and populates the GOT as expected. The problem here is that you
are telling ld.so to resolve an open that is of type open_t (a pointer
[also, in POSIX this is a reserved name]). When the dynamic linker goes
on to resolve your symbol, it will populate the GOT with the address of
open. Looking at your code, this should be in an area that is mapped
readable and writable. When you then issue a call to open, the address
that will be loaded from the GOT will be that of your symbol. The PLT
entry will then jump to that address and attempt to execute from there.
Since that memory is not mapped as executable, you SIGSEGV. Even if it
was mapped as executable, it would still be undefined behaviour, since
there is no actual code there to be executed.

And no, you can not make ld.so dereference the pointer as you want it
to. Otherwise, it would not be able to resolve other symbols of similar
types as it would be expected to do.

Cheers,
Orlando.