This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH][gold] Use attributes of existing sections when placing orphan sections.
- From: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- To: Igor Kudrin <ikudrin at accesssoftek dot com>
- Cc: "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 06:12:04 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH][gold] Use attributes of existing sections when placing orphan sections.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <email@example.com>
On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 4:24 AM, Igor Kudrin <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> The current version of gold uses names of described output sections
> to find places where to put orphan sections. If the sections in the
> linker script have different names, gold fails to find the right place
> for orphans. This patch addresses the issue by analyzing attributes
> of existing section if they have unfamiliar names.
One of the goals of gold's orphan section placement is to be
approximately the same as GNU ld's orphan section placement. How does
GNU ld behave in the scenarios you are looking at?