Re: Binutils/gas/ld port for RISC-V

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 06:40:13 PDT (-0700), nickc@redhat.com wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
>> We'd like to submit for inclusion in Binutils a port for the RISC-V
>> architecture.
>
> Thanks very much for submitting these patches.  Before going any further
> though, I have to ask: do all of the authors of these patches have FSF
> binutils copyright assignments in place ?  I see that SiFive have an
> assignment, but are there any other authors involved in this work, and if
> so, do they have copyright assignments ?

My understanding is that everyone has the correct copyright assignment
paperwork filed with the FSF, which is what prompted us to finally pull the
trigger on upstreaming.

> The next question is: is someone volunteering to be a maintainer for this
> port ?  A port without a maintainer is likely to bit-rot and eventually be
> rendered obsolete.  On the other hand volunteering to be a maintainer
> should not be taken lightly as it does involve a commitment.

Andrew and I will volunteer to be maintainers of the RISC-V toolchain,
including the binutils port.

> Lastly - are there publicly available documents describing the RISC-V ISA ?
> It is handy to be able to refer to these if any questions arise about the
> accuracy of the port.

The RISC-V foundation's website has both the user-level ISA spec and a draft of
the privileged spec:

  https://riscv.org/specifications/