Re: [ARM] PR ld/20608

On 22/09/16 15:11, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Christophe,
>
>> OK?
>
> Approved - please apply.  Just one small nit:
>
> +	     PLT stub. If a long branch stub is needed, we'll add a
> +	     Thumb->Arm one and branch directly to the ARM PLT entry.
> +	     Here, we have to check if a pre-PLT Thumb->ARM stub
> +	     is needed and if it will be close enough.
> +	  */
>
> Please move the closing */ back to the end of the line above it...
>
> Cheers
>   Nick

So this patch got me wondering.  If the PLT slot is so far away that we
need an indirect jump to get there, why don't we clone the PLT code
sequence at the veneer location?  As I recall there's nothing
architectural about placing all the PLT slots together, it's just more
convenient to do that.  We could even have the clone in Thumb-2 code if
that's appropriate, so that it's compatible with tail calls.

R.