This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [arm] Automatically enable CRC instructions on supported ARMv8-A CPUs
- From: "Richard Earnshaw (lists)" <Richard dot Earnshaw at arm dot com>
- To: Evandro Menezes <e dot menezes at samsung dot com>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Cc: "philipp dot tomsich at theobroma-systems dot com" <philipp dot tomsich at theobroma-systems dot com>, jim dot wilson at linaro dot org
- Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 12:40:13 +0100
- Subject: Re: [arm] Automatically enable CRC instructions on supported ARMv8-A CPUs
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CGME20160907162633uscas1p10fe25be18c4db33c6eed955583c48eb7@uscas1p1.samsung.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On 07/09/16 17:35, Evandro Menezes wrote:
> I'd think that leaving CRC implicit in ARM_ARCH_V8A and creating a new
> feature that excludes it, say ARM_ARCH_V8A_NO_CRC, would reflect the
> specs more closely. But I have no strong feelings about it.
> Thank you,
I did think about that, but technically, CRC is an extension to v8-A, so
describing omissions is awkward, even though having CRC is far more
common than not having it.