This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] x86: allow suffix-less sign-extending movsb, movsw, and movsl
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich at suse dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 05:38:31 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] x86: allow suffix-less sign-extending movsb, movsw, and movsl
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <577655C002000078000FA593 at prv-mh dot provo dot novell dot com>
On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 2:36 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@suse.com> wrote:
> ... just like has been made the case recently for movzb and movzw.
> Note that this exposed a bug in check_qword_reg(): A missing 'r' (or
> wrong 'e') register prefix needs to be complained about if the template
> allows for a 64-bit register, not a 32-bit one. I assume this was a
> copy-and-paste type of mistake (from check_long_reg()).
We don't support
today. Remind me why we changed to support
There is no code outer there which uses this mnemonic. Maybe it
was a mistake to allow it.