This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Releases 2.27 and 2.26.1
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Matthias Klose <doko at ubuntu dot com>, Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>, "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 19:46:29 -0700
- Subject: Re: Releases 2.27 and 2.26.1
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <2D5A1F96-A731-4D41-9C77-FFB069F1115F at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOoHKGG7TK_STc6dPkMEE2TFyd=nRtMBXht68ojydq0R-g at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAJimCsEOcMmZSVR_2qgw-MJa0c2WX5EthjjgRWobCBzyEUnFJQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOo0ad=z0TSGHK+t=CTMQWtVojDjvuSCoWxGTphYF3bBfw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAJimCsGR1TnbL83nObpb-N3mNS_6NKBda72CjrCuGZhAhJ5uAw at mail dot gmail dot com> <5769B5D2 dot 1040108 at ubuntu dot com> <20160622010221 dot GW24532 at vapier dot lan>
On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Mike Frysinger <email@example.com> wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2016 23:46, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> On 21.06.2016 20:47, Cary Coutant wrote:
>> >>>> I propose to turn on "-z relro" by default if supported.
>> >>>> https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=20283
>> >>> Isn't it kind of late to be considering this for 2.27?
>> >> When is it not late?
>> > I was just thinking that Tristan had wanted to make the branch last
>> > week, and this seems like a major change to do at the last second. My
>> > only concern is it may require some time to shake out any issues.
>> >>> And doesn't GCC already pass -z relro by default anyway where it's supported?
>> >> However, -z relro has been enabled in Fedora since
>> > Ah, right. I forgot it was a distro thing. (That's at least an
>> > argument in your favor, showing there's less potential for
>> > destabilization.)
>> This also is enabled by default for Ubuntu since a few years, and Debian is
>> adding this flag to it's LDFLAGS for packaging (but packages need to reflect it).
> Gentoo has been enabling it by default since at least Jan 2007.
> i'm too lazy to look back further ;).
It looks like Linux distros have been enable relro for years. I will
check it in tomorrow unless there is an objection.