This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Releases 2.27 and 2.26.1
- From: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:47:31 -0700
- Subject: Re: Releases 2.27 and 2.26.1
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <2D5A1F96-A731-4D41-9C77-FFB069F1115F at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOoHKGG7TK_STc6dPkMEE2TFyd=nRtMBXht68ojydq0R-g at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAJimCsEOcMmZSVR_2qgw-MJa0c2WX5EthjjgRWobCBzyEUnFJQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOo0ad=z0TSGHK+t=CTMQWtVojDjvuSCoWxGTphYF3bBfw at mail dot gmail dot com>
>>> I propose to turn on "-z relro" by default if supported.
>> Isn't it kind of late to be considering this for 2.27?
> When is it not late?
I was just thinking that Tristan had wanted to make the branch last
week, and this seems like a major change to do at the last second. My
only concern is it may require some time to shake out any issues.
>> And doesn't GCC already pass -z relro by default anyway where it's supported?
> However, -z relro has been enabled in Fedora since
Ah, right. I forgot it was a distro thing. (That's at least an
argument in your favor, showing there's less potential for
If you're going to make the change in ld, we should probably also make
it in gold as well. I believe -z relro is fine on all targets
supported by gold.