This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH][x86_64] Convert indirect call via GOT to direct when possible
- From: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at gmail dot com>
- To: Sriraman Tallam <tmsriram at google dot com>
- Cc: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, David Li <davidxl at google dot com>
- Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 16:00:30 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH][x86_64] Convert indirect call via GOT to direct when possible
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAAs8HmxxdBpS7w8udZgK0QFi5TnenU3wGhpPfhWeKE8Tr=thvA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOpk3aOK5mMkKvYQyzeQxJ-h8o+3KjLRikKSkLmMfqoUtg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAs8Hmw2KQ2neDNP5cnQPBVBZMJthvQGTARPiwa-NfAx5R6ugw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOrOyYv0+svcObyaBcoYbAWZTadEPm-mAGQUFFyNjPgctg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAs8HmzoxWe2YpvjviV-bs2BRotGa_WFWbCyyLh-_L=s00yxjQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
>> Do you need to check R_X86_64_REX_GOTPCRELX for branch?
> Ok, patch changed to not check for this and refactored a bit.
+# x86_64_indirect_call_to_direct.sh -- a test for indirect call(jump) to direct
+# Copyright (C) 2016 onwards Free Software Foundation, Inc.
I don't think "onwards" is a valid way of expressing copyright dates.
I haven't found any mention of it in the Gnu coding standards, the GPL
documentation, or in any existing sources. (Maybe I missed a policy
A range of years (e.g., "2012-2016") is only valid when the file was
updated in each of the years in the range. So a blanket "onwards" is
inappropriate for a file that probably won't get touched every year,
even if it is a valid way of expressing a range.