This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [RFC][PATCH] Check ELF relocs after opening all all input files
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 06:09:48 -0700
- Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH] Check ELF relocs after opening all all input files
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20160419134956 dot GA12310 at intel dot com> <57165642 dot 1070808 at redhat dot com> <CAMe9rOrydGcortz2AsujVSQYZCRbSPsi7CFQRnA6ZZiicbUvTA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160419232457 dot GB20119 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOqAmmgni51d349yEcW7OcHKq3cPQ3btsJUGR5i_P4uErA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAMe9rOrCzys1EUwvkYNHjzN8NVxab66WvhUFANXxtb6vxppgXA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160427022922 dot GA20333 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOoScOY3U4vSjn8Q22SR6YUh0rhXaO7wvVGvfW+ctc_wew at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160428011151 dot GB18915 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAMe9rOrNArE9iqYfUzoWr+OjgsRSkKhw7ULp77JbZOBCz4MAKw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160428130707 dot GC18915 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org>
On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 6:07 AM, Alan Modra <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 05:49:57AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Alan Modra <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> > On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 03:24:48PM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> >> bfd_elf_record_link_assignment
>> >> is called after check_relocs. bfd_elf_record_link_assignment sets non_elf,
>> >> def_regular and forced_local. For PROVIDE, it also updates root.type. They
>> >> are needed in reloc_checks.
>> > My guess is that symbol twiddling done in before_allocation should be
>> > moved to a new ldemul hook called at the start of lang_do_assignments.
>> > The idea being to stabilize symbols earlier.
>> > The hook would twiddle __ehdr_start and call find_statement_assignment
>> > when lang_mark_phase_enum. Reversing the __ehdr_start twiddle stays
>> > in before_allocation.
>> I tried this. But it doesn't work with __start/__stop symbols. I
>> need to know if they are defined and referenced local in check_relocs.
>> --- a/ld/ldlang.c
>> +++ b/ld/ldlang.c
>> @@ -6930,6 +6930,8 @@ lang_process (void)
>> collection in order to make sure that all symbol aliases are resolved. */
>> lang_do_assignments (lang_mark_phase_enum);
>> + ldemul_record_link_assignments (lang_mark_phase_enum);
>> expld.phase = lang_first_phase_enum;
> You'll need to run ldemul_record_link_assignments before
> lang_do_assignments if you want provided symbols to be defined.
I got many more failures when I did that since many assignments
haven't been processed yet.
> I suggest renaming to ldemul_do_assignments and putting
> ldemul_do_assignments (phase);
> inside lang_do_assignments just before the call to
> Alan Modra
> Australia Development Lab, IBM