This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [committed, PATCH] Always create dynsym section with dynamic sections
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Faraz Shahbazker <Faraz dot Shahbazker at imgtec dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 16:25:29 -0700
- Subject: Re: [committed, PATCH] Always create dynsym section with dynamic sections
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20160223003208 dot GA30022 at intel dot com> <571A59A8 dot 4000700 at imgtec dot com> <CAMe9rOqr+E11vmpMV4Fo8Js_nCdsrcKpWKXQCUy+qSjjod=_hg at mail dot gmail dot com> <571A73BE dot 4000709 at imgtec dot com> <CAMe9rOp4nZHfL2=st5-fap84C7zOnnyjrU7e0_+QWe1jYhK6cw at mail dot gmail dot com> <DCB1C42372B1674B8F912A294CCB775A92D4E930 at BADAG02 dot ba dot imgtec dot org> <CAMe9rOpZECsq2U4Gb5CJw=y-vhmd_kDmTa0nZf+eqqTRUqDBKw at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM, H.J. Lu <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Faraz Shahbazker
> <Faraz.Shahbazker@imgtec.com> wrote:
>> On 04/22/2016 12:28 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
>>> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Faraz Shahbazker
>>>> + if (dynsymcount != 0 || elf_hash_table (info)->dynamic_sections_created)
>>>> + ++dynsymcount;
>>> Are you saying dynamic_sections_created is 0 for MIPS here
>>> and will become 1 later?
>> No, it will remain 0. The link is static, but the hash_table is still used to
>> record global symbols that have GOT relocations against them. Ofc, this
>> hash_table does not result in creation of a dynsym section, because well,
>> dynamic_sections_created is 0.
>> Check the list of callers to bfd_elf_link_record_dynamic_symbol(), a number of
>> architectures use the link_hash_table in situations where it is not clear whether it is
>> being used to track dynamic symbols for a dynamic executable, as it is for x86.
> So MIPS doesn't have dynamic symbols in this case. It just borrows
> dynsymcount for different purpose. Is this correct?
The comments for elf_link_hash_table say:
/* The number of symbols found in the link which must be put into
the .dynsym section. */