This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [committed] MIPS/GAS: Fix an ISA override not lifting ABI restrictions
- From: Hans-Peter Nilsson <hans-peter dot nilsson at axis dot com>
- To: macro at imgtec dot com
- Cc: ralf at linux-mips dot org, Matthew dot Fortune at imgtec dot com, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 05:36:42 +0200
- Subject: Re: [committed] MIPS/GAS: Fix an ISA override not lifting ABI restrictions
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
> Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 01:26:55 +0100
> From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <email@example.com>
> Correct a regression introduced with commit 919731affbef ("Add MIPS
> .module directive") causing code like:
> .set mips3
> dli $2, 0x9000000080000000
> to fail assembly with the following error message produced:
> Error: number (0x9000000080000000) larger than 32 bits
> if built with `mips3' selected as the global ISA (e.g. `-march=mips3').
> This is because a `.set' directive doing an ISA override does not lift
> the ABI restriction on register sizes if the ISA remains unchanged.
> Previously the directive always set register sizes from the ISA chosen,
> which is what some code expects. Restore the old semantics then.
Maybe this fixes PR16288?