This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [RFC][PATCH] Check ELF relocs after opening all all input files
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 17:01:06 +0100
- Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH] Check ELF relocs after opening all all input files
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20160419134956 dot GA12310 at intel dot com>
> Delaying checking ELF relocations until opening all input files so
> that symbol information is final when relocations are checked. This
> is only enabled for x86 targets.
> Any comments, feedbacks?
What benefit is gained by doing this ? I would guess that it is connected
with symbols changing type and/or visibility and/or protected status, but
it would be nice to know what you are hoping to achieve.
The code seems quite straightforward - but why limit the change to x86
targets only ? Are you expecting that it might break other targets ?
I assume that you have tested the patch with the x86 variants that you
have changed - were there any regressions or changes ?
Would it be worth creating a test the demonstrates the value of the change.
If the test was not restricted to x86 targets then it could be used to
prompt a conversion of non-x86 targets as well.