Re: [RFC] Extension to NOCROSSREFS linker script command

Hi Matthew,

> My proposal is relatively simple... A new command to check one direction
> only:
>
> NOCROSSREFSTO (<to-section> , <from-section1> , <from-section2> ...)
>
> The implementation of this in LD is pretty trivial. Any thoughts on this
> or alternative approaches?

Actually this sounds like a sensible approach.

My concern from a binutils point of view is "is it worth it ?"  Any new
feature has the possibility of introducing new bugs, and we want to avoid
feature-creep.  So adding a new feature that is only going to be used by
one person - ie you - would seem like a bad idea.  Now if there were other
people also requesting this functionality, then that would be a different
matter.

Of course this does not mean you should not create the patch if you want to,
just that you should be prepared for the possibility that the patch might
not be accepted into the official sources if we think that it is too risky.