This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: LOCAL symbols discarded at link time
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: Mark Hills <mark dot hills at framestore dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 22:10:42 +1030
- Subject: Re: LOCAL symbols discarded at link time
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1603021534350 dot 14549 at sys953 dot ldn dot framestore dot com>
On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 04:34:59PM +0000, Mark Hills wrote:
> I'm am experiencing interactions at link time, despite "LOCAL" symbols and
> applying careful use of 'visibility':
By converting weak symbols to locals you are subverting the mechanism
used by the toolchain to provide just one instance of a C++ class that
appears in multiple object files. Don't expect this to work.
See "C++ one definition rule".
Australia Development Lab, IBM